ORDINANCE 2006-08 OF THE TOWN COUNCIL OF
Editor’s Note: See Ordinance 2014-3, adopted 9/23/2014. The term “Town Administrator” shall be read to mean “Town Manager”.
A. Pursuant to I.C. 36-5-5-1 et. seq., the Town Council for the Town of Leo-Cedarville, Indiana hereby establishes the office of Town Administrator.
B. The Town Administrator shall be appointed by the Town Council and shall serve at the pleasure of the Town Council, and may be discharged by the Town Council at-will. The Town Administrator shall have no policy-making authority, and the position is not a “lucrative office” as Article 2, Section 9 of the Indiana Constitution, uses that term.
C. The Town Administrator, under the direction of the Town Council, is responsible for performing the following duties:
1. The Town Administrator is hereby empowered to receive complaints about alleged violations of Town Ordinances, to take reasonable steps to investigate such complaints and to make reports and recommendation to the Town Council concerning violations. Upon the direction of the Town Council, the Town Administrator shall have the authority to issue notices of violations. The Town Administrator shall not have the authority to issue fines or penalties or to initiate any administrative or judicial proceeding to enforce an ordinance without Town Council Approval.
2. To assist the Town Clerk-Treasurer, as directed by the Clerk-Treasurer in maintaining General Town Ordinances, Resolutions, and Orders, or other official Town records.
3. To perform any clerical or secretarial duties required by the Town Clerk-Treasurer or the Town Council and to manage the day-to-day operations of the Town Office including maintaining office supplies and equipment, operating the phone message answering system, receiving phone calls, receiving mail.
4. The Town Administrator shall have direct day-to-day supervisory authority over the Town Maintenance Person subject to any instructions given by the Town Executive. The Town Executive shall have the right to establish and publish employment policies governing the Maintenance Person, subject to the approval of the Town Council.
5. To assist with scheduling rentals of Leo-Cedarville’s park’s pavilions and the park sign.
6. To coordinate the repair and maintenance of all public ground including the town office, the park, the boat landing, and all public rights of way.
7. To facilitate communication between the Town Council and the general public by accepting comments, concerns and complaints from members of the public and by answering questions of a general nature or providing information to the public regarding town services and events.
D. The Town Administrator shall work out of the Town Office, and shall work no less than twenty (20) hours per week. The Town Administrator may work more than 20 hours in a week if necessary, but may not work more than thirty (30) hours in any one week without prior written authorization of the President of the Town Council. The Town Council may, at its discretion, establish a schedule of regular office hours for the Town Administrator. Otherwise, the Town Administrator may establish his/her own schedule of office hours. The schedule of the regular office hours of the Town Administrator shall be posted on the door of the Town Office for the convenience of the public. The Town Administrator shall keep a record of hours actually worked in each work week, and shall provide that schedule to the Clerk-Treasurer as deemed necessary.
E. At the discretion of the Leo-Cedarville Planning Commission, the Town Administrator may also serve as the Leo-Cedarville Zoning Administrator and/or the Secretary to the Planning Commission. At the discretion of the Leo-Cedarville Board of Zoning Appeals, the Town Administrator may also serve as the secretary to the Board of Zoning Appeals. If so appointed, in addition to the duties set forth above, the Town Administrator shall have any other duties set forth in the Town Zoning Code for the Town Zoning Administrator and/or Secretary of the Planning Commission or Secretary of the Board of Zoning Appeals, and any other duties assigned by the Plan Commission or Board of Zoning Appeals.
F. The Town Administrator’s shall be compensated at a rate set forth by the annual salary ordinance adopted by the Town Council. If the Town Administrator also serves as the Town Zoning Administrator, he/she shall also be entitled to the salary of the Town Zoning Administrator set forth in the annual salary ordinance. The Town Administrator shall be entitled to the employee benefits available to regular, full-time employees that are set forth in the Town’s Personnel Policy Ordinance.
G. The official title of “Town Administrator” shall be used when performing the duties set forth in paragraph B above, or when performing any other duties assigned by the Town Council, or the Town Clerk-Treasurer. The official title of “Town Zoning Administrator” shall be used when performing any of the official duties set forth in Leo-Cedarville Zoning Code or any other duties assigned by the Town Plan Commission or Town Board of Zoning Appeals.
H. This ordinance shall repeal any prior ordinance inconsistent with its terms.
I. This ordinance shall become effective upon its passage and upon its execution by the Town Executive (i.e. Town Council President) as attested by the Clerk-Treasurer.
Originally passed and adopted by the Town Council of the Town of Leo-Cedarville, Indiana on the 29th day of April, 2003.
Janice Linn – Council President
Thomas Weaver – Vice President
Attested: Pamela Spannuth, Clerk-Treasurer
Revisions adopted by the Town Council of the Town of Leo-Cedarville, Indiana on the 18th day of July, 2006.
Michael K. Young
Attestation of Clerk-Treasurer
I, Pamela Spannuth, the Clerk-Treasurer for the Town of Leo-Cedarville, Indiana, hereby attest that the ordinance set forth above was adopted by the legislative body of the Town of Leo-Cedarville on July 18, 2006 and signed by the Executive for the Town of Leo-Cedarville, and properly executed in my presence on July 18, 2006
| Pam Spannuth